Minn Kota’s Spot Lock feature is a great way to keep your boat in place, but what do you do if it stops working? In this blog post, we will discuss some of the most common Minn Kota Spot Lock issues and how to troubleshoot them. We will also provide tips on how to prevent these issues from happening in the future.
What is Electronic GPS Anchor «Spot-Lock» in Minn Kota Electric Motors?
GPS anchor «Spot-Lock» is an electronic anchoring system that uses GPS technology to keep your Minn Kota trolling motor in a fixed position even in windy or current conditions.
Standard Features Minn Kota Spot Lock
Minn Kota Spot Lock comes with a few features that are designed to make your fishing experience more enjoyable.
- First, there is the GPS-enabled anchor system. This allows you to choose a spot and have the Minn Kota Spot Lock hold you in place even when there is wind or current.
- Second, there is the automatic boat positioning feature. This keeps your boat in a set position so you can fish without having to worry about drifting away from your spot.
- Lastly, there is the wireless remote control. This allows you to control all of the Minn Kota Spot Lock’s functions from anywhere on your boat.
Minn Kota Spot Lock also has a few optional features that you can add to customize your fishing experience even further. These include:
- A transducer shield mount that protects your fish finder from getting damaged by the Minn Kota Spot Lock’s anchor.
- A quick-release bracket that allows you to quickly and easily remove the Minn Kota Spot Lock from your boat when you’re done fishing.
- A storage bag that helps keep your Minn Kota Spot Lock clean and organized when it’s not in use.
No matter which features you choose, Minn Kota Spot Lock is sure to make your fishing trips more enjoyable. But what do you do if you start having issues with your Minn Kota Spot Lock? Read on to find out.
Minn Kota Spot Lock Issues
Minn Kota is a trusted brand when it comes to fishing gear, but even they aren’t perfect. Sometimes, their products can have issues.
Like all electronic devices, the GPS anchor Spot-Lock is not perfect and there are a few common issues that can occur.
The boat drifts up to six feet away from the GPS anchor spot
One of the most common Minn Kota Spot Lock issues is that the system does not hold your boat in place as well as it should.
There are a few things that you can do to troubleshoot this issue.
- First, make sure that you have selected the correct location on your GPS. If you are not in the correct location, the Minn Kota Spot Lock system will not work correctly.
- Second, check to see if there are any obstructions in the water that could be causing your boat to move. Sometimes, boats can get caught on submerged logs or rocks and this can cause the Minn Kota Spot Lock system to fail.
System does not engage when you try to use it
Another common Minn Kota Spot Lock issue is that the system does not engage when you try to use it. This can be caused by a variety of things.
- First, make sure that your batteries are fully charged. The Minn Kota Spot Lock system requires a lot of power to engage and if your batteries are low, it may not have enough power to engage.
- Second, check to see if the water depth is sufficient. The Minn Kota Spot Lock system will not engage if the water depth is less than three feet.
- Finally, make sure that there are no obstructions in the water that could be preventing the system from engaging.
Only compatible with the Helmsman app on your tablet or phone
If your Minn Kota anchor won’t hold, you may have a problem with your Spot Lock. Make sure that your Minn Kota is compatible with the Helmsman app on your tablet or phone. If it is, make sure that the Helmsman app is up to date and try using the Spot Lock again.
If the problem persists, you may need to reset your Minn Kota. To do this, follow the instructions in your Minn Kota owner’s manual. If you’re still having trouble, contact Minn Kota customer service for assistance.
Randomly loses connection
If your Minn Kota Spot Lock randomly loses connection, there are a few things you can try:
- First, check the battery. Make sure it is properly charged and connected.
- Second, check the transducer. Make sure it is properly mounted and the cable is not damaged.
- Third, check for software updates. Minn Kota occasionally releases new versions of their software that can improve performance and fix bugs.
Minn Kota Spot Lock Pros and Cons
There are a few advantages and disadvantages to the Minn Kota Spot Lock. Let’s take a look at some of each:
- You can choose how long you want to stay in one spot without having to worry about your anchor holding
- It is easy to use once you get the hang of it
- It comes in handy if the wind picks up and starts moving your boat around
- The initial investment is a little pricey
- If you don’t have enough weight in your boat, it won’t work as well
- You need to have a good battery to power it since it does use quite a bit of juice
Overall, the Minn Kota Spot Lock is a great tool to have on your boat. Just be sure to keep in mind the few disadvantages and you’ll be good to go!
How Well Minn Kota Spot Lock Holds the Spot?
One of the most frequent questions we get asked is how well Minn Kota Spot Lock holds the spot. The short answer is that it all depends on the bottom type and depth of water you are fishing in.
We have found that in most situations, Minn Kota Spot Lock will hold your position just fine as long as you’re not in too deep of water or have a very soft bottom. However, there are a few things you can do to help ensure your Minn Kota anchor holds better.
- First, make sure you are using the proper setting for your particular situation. If you’re not sure, err on the side of using a higher setting.
- Second, be sure to properly clean and maintain your Minn Kota anchor. A dirty or fouled anchor will not hold as well as a clean one.
- Finally, if all else fails and you are still having Minn Kota Spot Lock issues, try using a second anchor point such as a tree or dock. This will help ensure your boat stays where you want it even if your Minn Kota anchor doesn’t want to cooperate. 🙂
Factors to Consider Before Buying A Spot-Lock Trolling Motor
When choosing a Minn Kota trolling motor, it’s important to consider the factors that will affect how well the Minn Kota Spot Lock feature works. Some of these factors include the type of bottom you are fishing in, the depth of water, and how well you clean and maintain your Minn Kota anchor.
Another thing to consider is how big your boat is. Minn Kota offers several different sizes of trolling motors, so be sure to choose one that’s appropriate for your boat size. And finally, make sure you have a 12-volt outlet on your boat to power the trolling motor.
Tips troubleshoot the issue
The good news is that there are some things you can do to troubleshoot the issue.
- First, check the Spot Lock fuse to see if it has blown.
- If the fuse is fine, then the next step is to check the power cord for any damage.
- If there is no damage to the power cord, then you will need to take your boat to a Minn Kota service center for further diagnosis.
We hope this helps resolve your Minn Kota Spot Lock issues!
When Minn Kota first introduced their Spot-Lock system, it was a bit of a game-changer for trolling motor fishing. No longer did anglers have to worry about their anchor dragging or their boat getting too close to hazards.
However, as with any new piece of technology, there have been some issues reported with the Minn Kota Spot Lock. Despite this, Spot Lock is a great feature that can help you keep your boat in one place, but it’s important to make sure that it’s working properly before you rely on it.
By following all steps, you can troubleshoot any Minn Kota Spot Lock issues and get back to enjoying your time on the water.
Have you ever used a Minn Kota Spot Lock? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below! Until next time, happy boating!